I’m one of those people who struggles to drink enough water each day. I know staying hydrated is the ultimate way to keep your body systems moving efficiently and contributes to long term health. But I get so bored of water! I used to drink a lot of fruit juice (bottled, not fresh) until I did my first Whole 30. It took a lot to wean me off the sugar water! Fruit infused water is fun, visually pleasing, and adds flavor to water. However, it’s not always handy and clean up can get annoying. Flavored mineral waters became a staple in my life last year – I was buying a big plastic bottle of it every day or two, and purchasing even more little ones from the store when on the go. I justified it as a “treat” to keep me drinking water. I started to feel really uncomfortable with how much plastic I was consuming and recycling, just drinking marked up flavored water. And who knows what it’s flavored with?
As I started getting more and more into DoTerra essential oils, which are totally pure and safe to eat, I realized I already had the solution to my problems! I dusted off the old SodaStream machine, ordered a few new bottles, and now have a totally awesome little fizzy drink station! Unlike the gross flavor packets and additives that come with the machine, using a drop or two of certified pure therapeutic grade essential oil adds fresh, bright flavor and potential health benefits, without sugar, chemicals, dyes, or calories. Don’t have a SodaStream? Don’t worry, essential oils are tasty in a variety of beverages like still water, hot cocoa, coffee, or tea!
My favorite essential oils for flavoring water are mainly citruses! I also enjoy using the OnGuard blend (packed with clove, orange, eucalyptus and rosemary extracts) as an immunity booster or to make my water a bit spicy. Essential oils cost just cents per drop. Shown below: OnGuard, Wild Orange, Lemon, Lime, and Grapefruit. More options not shown: Citrus Bliss and Slim & Sassy blends, Bergamot, Ginger, Cinnamon, and Peppermint.
How To Flavor Water with Essential Oils
*Disclaimer: I only recommend ingesting Doterra brand CPTG essential oils. I DO NOT advocate the internal use of any other brands. See end of post for more information.*
- Chill filtered water, either in the SodaStream bottle, or a Brita-type filter. (Chilled water holds carbonation longer!)
- Carbonate your water. (Do not add oils or flavorings to the plastic SodaStream bottles before or after carbonating!)
- Pour water into a glass carafe or other glass container, not plastic. (Glass is non-reactive!)
- Add a drop or two of essential oil for every 6 ounces of water, depending on how strong you like the flavor. (Lemon and Lime are my absolute favorites!)
- Stir, sip and enjoy! Store your flavored bubbly waters in glass containers for travel.
Essential Oils Promote Health in Multiple Ways
- Lemon: cleansing, purifying, aids digestion, uplifting, supports healthy respiratory function*
- Lime: cleansing, purifying, uplifting, stimulating, supports healthy immune function*
- Grapefruit: cleansing, clarifying, motivating, supports healthy metabolism*
- Ginger: may help reduce bloating, gas, occasional nausea, indigestion, and support healthy digestion*
- Wild Orange: purifying, uplifting, provides antioxidants, protects against seasonal & environmental threats*
- Bergamot: cleansing, calming, uplifting, (change regular tea to Earl Grey with the addition of Bergamot)
- Cinnamon: cleansing, purifying, supports healthy metabolic function, maintains a healthy immune system*
- OnGuard: energizing, uplifting, supports healthy immune & respiratory function, protects against environmental threats, promotes healthy circulation, supports the body’s natural antioxidant defenses*
- Citrus Bliss: adds tangerine, mandarin, clementine and vanilla bean absolute to the citrus oils above!
- Peppermint: cleansing, aids digestion, settles upset stomach (I don’t like drinking cold peppermint water; it’s kind of like swallowing mouthwash. But peppermint is a delicious addition to warm tea and chocolate-y beverages!)
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
*All essential oils are not created equal. Essential oils should be the pure distilled essence of plants, with no synthetic additives, fillers, or dilution. Only Doterra Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade essential oils are safe for internal use; it’s why they have a nutritional information label on the bottle. You can purchase Doterra CPTG essential oils directly from the source using this link: www.mydoterra.com/meghansmolka. Non-members pay retail price. For $35, you get a yearly wholesale membership and shop at 25% of retail prices.